Cadillac ELR Forum

It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to lower brightness on screen
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:26 am 

Does anyone know how I can lower the intensity/brightness on the display screen? It is way too bright at night!

Post subject: Re: How to lower brightness on screen
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:53 am 

There's an "Illumination Wheel" to the lower left of the steering wheel (next to the parking brake control) that can dial up or down the brightness, but only at night.

Problem is, as you've discovered, the screens don't get dim enough at night and are very distracting.

I've already contacted my ELR Advisor at (855) 422-3357 and complained. I recommend everyone with an ELR call the Concierge and complain about the too-bright LCD screens. And for good measure, complain that the illumination wheel control doesn't work during the daytime.

Last edited by Blastphemy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:39 pm 

Great info, thanks! The illumination wheel does help some, but not as much as I'd like.

I will call the Concierge and let them know about my disappointment :)

Maybe it can be fixed in a software update?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:25 am 

I spoke with my ELR Advisor this morning and reported three problems:

1) The screen cannot be dimmed enough at night, even with the Instrument Panel Illumination Control Thumbwheel all the way down.

2) The Illumination Control Thumbwheel doesn't work during the day, and going to Settings --> Display --> Mode --> Night doesn't enable it.

3) If I go to Settings --> Display --> Turn Off Display, the screen doesn't stay off! I'm not touching it (or any other controls aside from the accelerator, brake, regen paddles, and steering wheel), but it refuses to remain off, both at night and during the day. Does this also happen to you, voltec?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:23 pm 

I'll have to test it this weekend, I hadn't noticed anything like that happening before...and I think I had turned off the screen in the past?

What did the ELR Advisor have to say when you told him those issues? Is there any follow through plan, or is he just writing it in his journal :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:26 pm 

I tested this a bit today and it seems to only occur when the air conditioning is on. So weird! I'll keep testing to see if that's the consistent common denominator.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:21 pm 

Blastphemy wrote:
3) If I go to Settings --> Display --> Turn Off Display, the screen doesn't stay off!
UPDATE: If the air conditioning is set to either Eco, Comfort, or Auto, the display screen will not stay off for more than 3 or 4 minutes, but usually less than 30 seconds.

I can run the A/C on "Min" with Auto off, however, and the screen does not turn on by itself. If the A/C is completely off, the screen never turns on spontaneously.

I've tried it both with Proximity Sensing on and off, and it doesn't make a difference. Even with Proximity Sensing on, when I move my hand towards the turned-off display, nothing happens (when it's working). I can't determine what possible stimulus is causing the screen to turn back on after being turned off. There's no message being displayed, so it's not waking up to give me information.

Even with Proximity Sensing off, the screen turns back on randomly. It happens when I'm on the highway, sitting at a stoplight not moving (neither me nor the car), or parked. Sometimes it's off for 3-5 minutes, other times it only stays off for seconds.

I've also made sure that the weather alerts are turned off, because that did turn on my screen, once, which makes sense.

What a strange bug in the C.U.E. system! Does this also happen to anyone else in their ELR?